Swarthmore Government Historical Group
History of Swarthmore Pennsylvania
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, is a small community in Northeastern Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains region. It was established by Quakers in 1784. It is named after Swarthmore, an English village. New Jersey and Pennsylvania were the first settlers. They settled on land William Penn had purchased for his colony of Pennsylvania.
Swarthmore ( SWORTH-mor, locally SWAHTH-mor) is a borough in Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Swarthmore was originally named "Westdale" in honor of noted painter Benjamin West, who was one of the early residents of the town. The name was changed to "Swarthmore" after the establishment of Swarthmore College. The borough population was 6,194 as of the 2010 census. == History == The borough was originally part of Springfield Township, and grew up around Swarthmore College, which was founded in 1864.
Avendale, City Team Ministries, Crum Woods, Leedom Estates, Little Crum Creek Gazebo, Little Crum Creek Park, Milmont Park, Neighborhood Gym, Nether Providence Township, Paulson Park, Sackville, Secane, Swarthmore College, Swarthmore Pizza, Swarthmore Town Center